Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Red Queens?

The movie rental business is what could be referred to as a “Red Queen.” Competition to control the market share has produced myriad innovations, including: in home delivery, video on demand, streaming video, and hybrid models. For instance, I was required to view a movie for on of my courses and within one day I was able to obtain a copy, view it, and then mail it back to Netflix. The low comparative price and convenience of Netflix has made it one of the best innovations for home entertainment in the past few years. Additionally, many television shows are also available to be viewed and for a small price, less than a cable subscription, one can watch programs from HBO, Showtime, or Starz whenever they would like.

Video on demand is the next wave for the VHS, DVD, and Blu-Ray rhyme. As the popularity of mobile devices grows, so to does the need to develop the technology to make one’s media catalog portable as well. Even though free alternatives in the form of YouTube and Hulu among others are available, video on demand is of higher quality and has a larger selection of content. The vast storage capability of home computers and mobile devices makes the need to store data on a CD or DVD impractical.

I find myself watching movies that I would not otherwise go to see in the theater (or want to be seen renting at a video store), because of all the options available through Netflix and the internet. In a sense, Netflix and video on demand has rekindled my love of movies and with the ability to provide feedback, has recommended movies based on my preferences that I may not have seen otherwise. I see the next wave of technology along this vein as the competition becomes more intense as a service that allows users to watch movies the moment they are released in the theaters, effectively making movie going an experience rather than a necessity.

1 comment:

  1. Shane,
    Nice post on Netflix. Do you think there will be arise of releases that bypass theater showings? Also who do you perceive as running in place with Netflix as the red queen? I also enjoy reading reviews on movies before I rent them and getting recommendations. I buy lots of music on Amazon because of the recommendations.

    Nice post,

    Dave Harms

    ReplyDelete